Access to Justice Manager - East Timor
Counterpart International is a global development organization that empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For nearly 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and building effective governance and institutions.
For more information visit www.Counterpart.org
Counterpart International is seeking an Access to Justice Team Manager for an anticipated 3-year, $4.5 million Ba Distrito (To the Districts) Program in East Timor. The program aims to increase institutional and human capacity at local levels to deliver basic services effectively and in a manner that is responsive to citizen needs and expectations. The program gives focus to delivery of justice sector services at local level. With the support and under the supervision of the Chief of Party (COP), the Access to Justice Manager will oversee and support program activities to 1) strengthen and support legal aid organizations and their provision of court representation/litigation, alternative dispute resolution and legal information services, 2) increase capacity of district court staff, and 3) strengthen legal frameworks relevant to program activities and goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical assistance and training to strengthen institutional capacity of legal aid organizations
- Provide assistance with regard to development of legal aid framework and design and implement training on legal aid framework, as identified by the Ministry of Justice.
- Design and deliver district court capacity building efforts.
- Implement training and technical assistance on litigation and ADR skills to legal aid organizations as well as mediation and conflict resolution skills to council members.
- Manage sub-grants and provide technical assistance and training on litigation, ADR , and the development of legal information materials to legal aid organizations with special focus on women and marginalized communities.
- Work with key stakeholders to develop and disseminate legal information through TV, radios, talk shows, comic books, community meetings, and trainings.
- Establish strong relationships with relevant stakeholders, including the Ministry of Justice, district-level court officials, and legal aid organizations.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience implementing rule of law or good governance activities in complex environments in a senior management position.
- Law Degree, Master’s Degree in Political Science, International Development, Conflict Resolution, L.L.M in International Law, Litigation and Dispute Resolution, or a relevant field of study.
- Technical experience in several of the following areas: formal and informal justice sector strengthening, CSO capacity building, gender, and sub-grant management.
- Previous work experience in East Timor and a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities in the region.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communications skills to meet the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program and to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate with other donor programs on local governance and decentralization in order to maximize results.
- Excellent public speaking and writing skills in English.
- Knowledge of Tetun and Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesia is preferred.
- Timorese strongly preferred.
Individuals interested in working with Counterpart International on this project should visit: http://www.counterpart.org/working-with-us/jobs-at-counterpart (supported by DevEx)
- Click on “current openings”
- Select the position
- Click on “Apply”
- Please include CV and a cover letter stating your availability and salary expectation.
Alternatively, you can email CV, cover letter and salary expectation to CS@counterpart.org
Counterpart is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply.