Governance Team Manager - East Timor
Counterpart International is a global development organization that empowers people and communities to implement innovative and enduring solutions to social, economic, and environmental challenges. For nearly 50 years, Counterpart has been forging partnerships with communities in need to address complex problems related to economic development, food security and nutrition, and building effective governance and institutions.
For more information visit www.Counterpart.org
Counterpart International is seeking a Governance Team Manager for an anticipated 3-year, $4.5 million Ba Distrito (To the Districts) Program in East Timor. The program aims to increase institutional and human capacity at local levels to deliver basic services effectively and in a manner that is responsive to citizen needs and expectations. With the support and under the supervision of the Chief of Party (COP), the Governance Team Manager will provide timely support to enable village councils to overcome existing human resource and organizational challenges and strengthen public participation in local governance. The Manager will train and mentor the staff in Counterpart’s latest advocacy, democracy and government capacity building training and development methodologies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Customize, plan and oversee implementation of program good governance activities including legislative commentary, council capacity building and improved government communications and coordination efforts
- Manage Governance Team staff and local training partners
- Assist in the design of training in organizational capacity development, project management and citizen engagement to local councils and associations of local councils.
- Deliver training of trainers to local partners who will train local councils and associations to increase their leadership and management skills with specialized training for women and youth members.
- Provide technical assistance and support for any major GOTL initiative/program either at the suco or district level that is part of GOTL initiative to prepare for implementation of decentralization plans.
- Propose and oversee administrative and logistical aspects related to local government development, capacity building and improved government communications.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- A minimum of 3-5 years relevant experience in similar local governance and civil society programs in complex environments in a senior management position.
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Political Science, International Development, Conflict Resolution or a relevant field of study.
- Technical experience in several of the following areas: human and institutional development, local governance and decentralization, organizational strengthening/capacity building, post-conflict development.
- Previous work as elected or employed government official in East Timor and a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities of local government strengthening.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communications skills to meet the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program and to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate with other donor programs on civil society, and seek synergies and complementarities to maximize results.
- Excellent public speaking and writing skills in English.Knowledge of Tetun and Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesia is preferred.
- Timorese strongly preferred,
Individuals interested in working with Counterpart International on this project should visit: http://www.counterpart.org/working-with-us/jobs-at-counterpart (supported by DevEx)
Click on “current openings”
- Select the position
- Click on “Apply”
- Please include CV and a cover letter stating your availability and salary expectation.
Alternatively, you can email CV, cover letter and salary expectation to CS@counterpart.org
Counterpart is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans and the physically challenged are encouraged to apply.